Your future, our focus.
Thanks to the generous support of our donors, the NAMA Foundation is proud to offer scholarships to support workforce development in the convenience services industry.
Online Educational Scholarships
Application Deadline: Coming Soon
In support of NAMA’s goal to be the premier knowledge source for the convenience services industry, the Foundation is pleased to offer scholarships for NAMA’s online learning courses.
- Selling Convenience Services: Sales Representatives Edition
Selling is often referred to as an art, likely because it is a beautiful thing when done right. NAMA’s online course, Selling Convenience Services: Sales Representative Edition, will train you in this art. Written and narrated by convenience services’ sales guru, Bob Tullio. This fully interactive course will inspire you to discover and close profitable business opportunities. Valued at $269.
- Selling Convenience Services: Management Edition
For sales managers, Selling Convenience Services: Management Edition provides two additional chapters on maximizing the performance of your sales team and understanding key principles of a good sales program foundation. Valued at $309.
- Recipients announced by June 1.
- Three scholarships will be awarded for the Selling Convenience: Services Sales Representative Edition Course valued at $269 each.
- One scholarship will be awarded for the Selling Convenience Services: Management Edition valued at $309.
- Check back for future educational scholarships.
Applicants must be currently or recently employed by a NAMA member company.
- Connie Baarlaer, Vendors Supply, Inc.
- Jon Holden, All Star Services
- Niki Morton, Casco Bay Food & Beverage
- Lihla Janke, Let’s Go Vending
Professional Certificate in Supervisory Management Scholarship
3 Courses • 12 Weeks • 100% Online
Application Deadline: Coming soon
- The Professional Certificate in Supervisory Management from Michigan State University will help you rise up in your career with essential management, leadership and analytical skills. Each online course is developed and led by the top-ranked faculty and management researchers of MSU’s Broad College of Business and designed to impact your personal and professional growth.
This professional development program consists of three 4 week courses to be taken in succession for the Professional Certificate or individually by those supervisors with established knowledge of management and leadership principles who are looking to target certain skills.
- Management Essentials — Management Essentials covers a wide range of fundamental concepts crucial for new managers who are faced with supervising direct reports for the first time. With four primary focus areas, the course will provide you with a toolkit of how to direct and manage, best practices for managing diversity in the workplace, the importance of decision making and communication and the key principles of people management.
- Leadership Essentials — Leadership Essentials covers a wide range of fundamental concepts, methods and practices designed to help mold leaders responsible for translating the vision, mission, and objectives to an organization’s first-level or departmental employees. With four primary focus areas, the course will provide you with the strategies and techniques for effective leadership in a supervisory role, self- and team-discovery through the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Assessment, successfully leading people and processes and using leadership behavior to overcome challenges.
- Essentials Analytical Skills — This course grounds you in the principles of critical thinking and human reasoning for informed problem solving and decision making. The course provides you with the strategies and techniques of critical thinking, how to best utilize thinking and reasoning in the operational environment, methods for leveraging data analytics and turning that data information into the action of effective problem solving.
One scholarship will be awarded to begin the Professional Certificate in Supervisory Management program June 1, 2020. This scholarship will cover all three courses in sequential order, valued at $3450.
- Applicants must be an aspiring or recent supervisory and have been involved in the convenience service industry for 2 or more years.
- Must be a full-time employee of a NAMA member company in good standing.
- William Berna, Coastal California
Dan Mathews Scholarship
Scholarships to The NAMA Show and Coffee Tea & Water - Together in 2021 will be available soon.
NAMA’s Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Dan Mathews retired in June of 2017. To honor his many contributions to NAMA and the convenience services industry over his 18 years of service, the NAMA Foundation has established the Dan Mathews Scholarship to carry on his legacy for generations to come.
Dan's wide-ranging legacy at NAMA includes our 16-year partnership with Michigan State University, which offers a NAMA Endowed Professorship and hosts NAMA's prestigious Executive Development Program. Dan was also instrumental in the creation of the OneShow, led the development of micro market products and thought leadership, and helped create the ground-breaking nutrition program FitPick.
Throughout his career at NAMA, Dan has been fiercely passionate about the importance of continuing education for industry professionals, particularly small operators. This dedication to small operators is why these scholarships to Coffee Tea & Water (CTW) and the The NAMA Show are specifically for NAMA Operator members with 10 or less employees.
One scholarship will be awarded to attend Coffee Tea & Water (CTW), November 9-11 in Orlando, FL. The scholarship includes general registration and travel reimbursement up to $1000.
Applicant must be employed by a member classified as a NAMA Operator with 10 or fewer full-time employees.
The NAMA Show scholarship for 2020 is:
- Michelle Lockert, Conscious Fuel
- Megan O’Neil, Daniels Vending
The Coffee Tea & Water (CTW) scholarship for 2019 is:
- Jennifer Stoddard, Coin-Op Canteen
The NAMA Show scholarship for 2019 is:
- Bob Pertzborn, Mid Iowa Vending
The Coffee Tea & Water (CTW) scholarships for 2018 are:
- David Mynar, Emerald Hills Coffee
- Shari-Ann Sasu, Let’s Improve! Healthy Vending, LLC
The NAMA Show scholarships for 2018 are:
- M. Gaye Tankersley, Food Service Solutions, LLC
- Kyle Dunn, Machine Cuisine Vending
The Coffee Tea & Water (CTW) scholarships for 2017 are:
- Jack Brown, ReFresh Facility Services
- Hans Lutkefedder, Vend Natural Holdings
NAMA Scholars Program
In support of NAMA’s goal to be the premier knowledge source for the convenience services industry, the NAMA Foundation offered a scholarship program designed exclusively for senior-level NAMA members and their employees interested in broadening their industry knowledge and leadership skills through NAMA’s education programs. The Foundation awardsed scholarships to the NAMA Executive Development Program (EDP) at Michigan State University. Designed to help emerging leaders to think like the CEO/Owner and to move a company to the next level in the competitive marketplace, EDP will also provide attendees with techniques for growing business revenue, solving complex business problems and enhancing personal leadership skills. This program was discontinued in 2019. Previous scholarship recipients are listed below.
2018 NAMA Scholars Recipients
- Steve Boucher, Compass Group / Canteen
- Jonathon Holden, All Star Services
- Ashley Hubler, U-Select-It
- ELN Scholar - Hans Lutkefedder, Vend Natural Holdings
2017 NAMA Scholars Recipients
- ELN Scholar – Shane Prebenda, Cantaloupe Systems
- Stephanie Kull, Vendors Exchange International
- Lori Puri, Corporate Essentials
- Devin Smith, All Star Services, Inc.
- Bruce Burch, Jackson Brothers of the South
The NAMA Endowed Professorship
In 1999, the Foundation embarked on a major initiative — an "Endowed Professorship" at The School of Hospitality Business in the Eli Broad College of Business, Michigan State University (MSU). The MSU Hospitality Program is arguably ranked number 1 or 2 in the United States. The faculty is among the most honored and influential in the world and are sought after as industry consultants.
The NAMA Endowed Professor will teach vending courses, foster practical research addressing critical vending industry issues and assist NAMA efforts in educating industry managers, executives and owners. Specific benefits to our industry include:
- Raise the visibility of NAMA and promote the vending industry.
- Design executive development courses.
- Initiate a "Better Business Strategic Summit" for operators, manufactures and suppliers.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Coordinate an annual NAMA Lecture Series.
- Research ways to "de-commodotize" products and increase value.
- Research strategies to better understand the marketplace and identify new markets.
- Research technology issues and offer solutions.
- Publish practical research findings.
- Established internship opportunities with NAMA members.
- Serve on NAMA committees and task forces.
- Advise and assist in upgrading NAMA educational materials and cirriculum design.
- Provide NAMA member access to expertise in Hospitality Business, Supply.
- Chain Management, Executive Development and Career Planning and Placement.
In short, MSU will assist NAMA in taking the vending and foodservice industry into the next century, improve the image of the industry overall, educate the industry, raise awareness and benefits of the industry, prepare the next generation of vending leaders and help to increase membership in NAMA.